Your essay should be 3-4 pages in length (not including title page, works cited, and statement of originality).
1. Choose any television network that broadcasts commercials. Choose any type of show that you enjoy: sporting event, soap opera, comedy, movie, news, etc. Watch five commercials in a row. You may also find commercials on YouTube. If that is the case, the commercials must be recent (within the last year) and ones that were broadcast in the United States.
2. Use the concepts discussed in Chapters 6-7 of the textbook to analyze the commercials and to write your essay. (You can also draw upon learning from earlier chapters and discussion postings but you’ll need to apply key concepts from Chapters 6 and 7).
3. Give your essay a title.
4. Write an introduction. Include the channel, television show, and date when the commercials were broadcasted.
5. Consider who the commercial seems to be made for. Does it appear to target a broad, diverse audience, or does it seem to be positioned to appeal to specific social identities? (social identities include but are not limited to race, ethnicity, national identity, gender, sexuality, age, religion, occupation, etc.)
6. Analyze the significance of the cultural patterns and values depicted in the commercials and support your reasoning with information from the textbook. In your analysis, describe how some of the following concepts are exemplified in the commercials:
Control over nature/Harmony with nature
7. Cite the textbook at least four times. Give page numbers when citing or referencing concepts from the textbook. You may also cite outside research sources, if applicable.
8. When analyzing the commercials, you may consider some of the following questions:
Note: You do not have to answer each of these questions in your essay. These are some of the questions that you could address to complete the assignment satisfactorily.
|What do the people in the commercial value: youth? wealth? beauty? fame? technology?|
|How does the commercial depict people of a particular racial or ethnic group?|
|What traditional gender roles are challenged by the commercial? What gender roles are affirmed? How?|
|How do the people in the commercial interact with each other? What do these interactions portray about dominant or co-cultures in the United States?|
|Are the commercials based on stereotypes? Explain.|
|What age groups are represented by the people in the commercial? What does the commercial communicate about these age groups?|
|Can you distinguish any identifying religious behaviors in the people in the commercial? What does the commercial communicate about these religions?|
|How are the people in the commercial dressed? What does their clothing indicate about their lifestyle?|
|Does the commercial in any way promote the ideas of individualism or of collectivism? Explain.|
|What social organizations are depicted in the commercial: family? government? military? schools? churches? community groups? What does the commercial communicate about these social organizations?|
|What natural resources are present in the commercial? How are they used? What does the commercial communicate about the use of these natural resources?|
|Are any environmental issues raised by the commercial? Explain.|
|Does the commercial make any historical references? Explain.|
|Do any nonverbal symbols in the commercial create meaning? (i.e. a recycling symbol)|
|Is there any evidence of globalization in the commercials? (i.e. foreign products or other signs of global economic integration)|
|Does the commercial utilize a slogan? What cultural messages are communicated in the slogan?|
|What is the overt message of the commercial? What is the covert message of the commercial?|
|How does the commercial relate to the deep structure of American culture?|
9. Write a summary/concluding remarks.
10. Include a Reference page using APA format. List all references including your textbook and the commercials. Outside research sources are optional.
11. Include the statement of originality.
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more