1) Did your company WALMART report or release EBITDA (earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization)? What income or expenses items were adjusted from net income to reconcile to EBITDA figures? (HINT: You may need to find the earnings press release correlating to the annual financial report).
2) Did your company’s net income increase or decrease from the prior period? Identify the major reasons for the increase or decrease.
3) Imagine that you are a financial analyst for your company asked to generate a forecast of your company’s net income for the future period. You know that generally the best place to start in forecasting next year’s net income is this year’s net income. Given this starting point, look at the items in your company’s recent period financial statements and make a forecast of the next period’s income.
4) What was your company’s comprehensive income for the recent period?
5) Locate your company’s note on revenue recognition. What is the revenue recognition policy? What FASB Codification is being followed?
6) Did you company’s revenue increase or decrease from the prior period? Identify the major reason for the increase or decrease.
Far from being an exact science, accounting involves estimation and judgment. Consider the case of Nelson Palmer, chief financial officer of Jasper Enterprises. Jasper is a relatively young, privately held company with thoughts of going public in the near future. The owners of the business would like to include in the prospectus (a document containing information about the company and its past performance) financial statements that support their assertion that Jasper is a successful company with a bright future.
The problem is the income statement for the past year shows a slight decrease in income from the prior period. When Nelson presented this information to the board of directors, he was told to revise the income statement. He was specifically counseled to review his estimates associated with bad debt expense, warranty expense, and estimated useful life of depreciable assets. He was invited to present his “revised” income statement to the board when it showed a 5% increase over last period’s net income – anything less would not do.
After reviewing the assumptions made regarding uncollectibles, warranties, and depreciation, Nelson found that he could revise his estimates and obtain the 5% target increase in income. But he did not feel that the revised income statement properly reflected the performance of Jasper for the period.
1. What are the risks to Nelson of revising the income statement to meet the target?
2. What are the risks to Nelson of not revising the income statement?
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more