Historical Timeline for Students with Exceptionalities
[WLOs: 1, 2] [CLOs: 1, 4]
The history of special education has included a long and arduous path for parents, teachers, and children as exemplified in Celebrating 35 Years of IDEA (Links to an external site.) , but this process also has generated some very positive outcomes. Beginning in 1954 with the Landmark Cases: Brown v. Board of Education (Links to an external site.), the Supreme Court ruled that separate is not equal, and therefore educating children with special needs in isolated environments does not provide an identical education to that of their non-disabled peers (Expanding Civil Rights, n.d.). Since the passage of this groundbreaking legislation, other individuals and activist groups have followed suit, fighting for the legal rights of individuals with disabilities.
· Read Chapter 2 in your Inclusion: Effective Practices for All Students text.
· Review the course and weekly learning outcomes.
· Review these examples of a historical timeline for students with exceptionalities:
· As you read, begin selecting three landmark cases to summarize and analyze.
· Select an online timeline format; although you can use any online timeline format for this project, Visme (Links to an external site.), Tiki-Toki (Links to an external site.) , and Timetoast (Links to an external site.) are recommended.
· Locate the in your online classroom.
· Review the Week 6 final paper (Resource Manual for Educating Students With Exceptionalities) description to see where this artifact fits into your final paper.
Success Tip: Start preparing now for the Week 6 final paper! Review the Week 6 Resource Manual for Educating Students With Exceptionalities and description to see where this artifact fits into your final paper. The Week 6 assignment involves creating a resource manual for students with exceptionalities to support Mr. Franklin and other colleagues. Preparation for this assignment must begin early to make certain you are thinking ahead and saving your work.
This assignment will allow you to better understand how relevant court cases and outcomes impacted the development and evolution of special education processes and policies over the years. As you navigate this assignment consider:
· How these landmark cases impacted the education and treatment offered to exceptional learners.
· How these court cases and outcomes influenced federal legislation that guides the foundation of special education laws and regulations.
· How special education legislation and policy have progressed over the years and what changes are still needed in order to meet the needs of exceptional learners in today’s educational environments.
Content Instructions: Using Visme (Links to an external site.), Tiki-Toki (Links to an external site.) , Timetoast (Links to an external site.), or a timeline creation tool of your choice, you will create a historical timeline related to students with exceptionalities with a minimum of five entries.
Identify at least three influential landmark cases specific to the development of 21st century special education practice beginning as early as 1960. For each of the three cases, complete a timeline entry that will
· Identify the case by name and date.
· Paraphrase in two to three sentences a description of each party’s stance for each of the three selected cases.
· Restate in your own words, a two- to three-sentence summary of the final court ruling for each of the three selected cases.
· Explain in two to three sentences, using your own words, how the historical legal rulings you selected have supported the needs of students with disabilities.
· Embed a relevant resource link to a website or video that describes each selected case in user-friendly terms.
· Provide a list of all references.
Include two additional entries in your timeline: Americans With Disabilities Act and Individuals With Disabilities Education Act. For each of these two pieces of legislation, complete a timeline entry that will
· Identify the legislative act by name and date.
· Paraphrase in one to two sentences a description of the legislative act.
· Explain in one to two sentences, using your own words, how the legislative act has supported the needs of students with disabilities.
· Provide a list of all references.
Create a document using this Week 1 Assignment Template to submit your assignment that includes a title page, the link to your online timeline, and a screenshot of your timeline overview. An important point is that you must make your timeline website “public” in order for the instructor to access your work.
ePortfolio and Assignment Submission Instructions
Submit Your Assignment: You will need to submit your assignment to both Waypoint and Folio.
· Part 1: Submit Assignment to Waypoint
· Submit your assignment to Waypoint using the Assignment Submission button (within your online classroom).
· For more detailed instructions, refer to the Submitting Assignments Through Waypoint (Links to an external site.)
· Part 2: Add Assignment to Folio
· A part of this assignment is adding your work to Folio. Folio is your free digital portfolio tool to visually showcase your academic and professional accomplishments and experiences.
The Historical Timeline for Students With Exceptionalities assignment
· Must be five to six timeline entries in length (not including title and references and formatted according to APA Style (Links to an external site.) as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA Formatting resource.
· Must include a separate title page with the following:
· Title of timeline
· Student’s name
· Course name and number
· Instructor’s name
· Date submitted
· Must include a hyperlink to the timeline and a screenshot of your work. Consider using this template for submission.
· Must utilize academic voice. See the Academic Voice (Links to an external site.) resource for additional guidance.
· Must use at least three credible sources in addition to the course text.
· The Scholarly, Peer-Reviewed, and Other Credible Sources (Links to an external site.) table offers additional guidance on appropriate source types. If you have questions about whether a specific source is appropriate for this assignment, please contact your instructor. Your instructor has the final say about the appropriateness of a specific source for a particular assignment.
· To assist you in completing the research required for this assignment, view this Ashford University Library Quick ‘n’ Dirty (Links to an external site.) tutorial, which introduces the Ashford University Library and the research process, and provides some library search tips.
· Must document any information used from sources in APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center’s APA: Citing Within Your Paper (Links to an external site.)
· Must include a separate references page that is formatted according to APA Style as outlined in the Writing Center. See the APA: Formatting Your References List (Links to an external site.) resource in the Writing Center for specifications.
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more