During the quarter, you should keep a typed or handwritten journal reflecting on the readings assigned below that touch on, in some aspect, the relationship between race and the criminal justice system. Excellent journal entries will include critical reflections about the topic with a specific emphasis on the statistics and data presented in the piece.
Examples of questions you might reflect on about the statistics and data could include (but are not limited to):
Where did the data come from and is it a reliable source?
Are the statistics presented in a way that support the author’s story?
What questions do you have about the data and the statistics?
Does the author appear to present information that adequately tells the entire story, not just a piece of it?
Is the author manipulating the data to tell a specific story? Why do you think that?
What other statistics do you think the author should have presented?
Please remember that the data and statistics component is only one part of your reflection on each piece, it is also necessary to reflect on the topic presented and the disparate impact that the criminal justice system may have on individuals because of their race and ethnicity.
This will be due at the end of the quarter and should be submitted electronically through Canvas (scans of handwritten journals are acceptable). There is no limit on the length of your reflections on the readings, however, on average, I would estimate that reflecting on each module’s material would need a minimum of 250-words per article (for a total of 2,500 words or 10 double-spaced typed pages). There is no need to create citations for the assigned readings.
I will happily review your initial journal entries if you would like feedback.
Reflections on each module will be worth 5 points for a total of 50 points.
1. What Black People Really Think About the Police (https://newrepublic.com/article/160532/what-black-people-think-police)
2. In 2019, the Portland police Gun Violence team made 1,600 stops. More than half were Black people. https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2020/11/in-2019-the-portland-police-gun-violence-team-made-1600-stops-more-than-half-were-black-people.html
3. Which Police Departments Are as Diverse as Their Communities? -https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/09/23/us/bureau-justice-statistics-race.html
4. A State-by-State Look at Coronavirus in Prisons
5. A Mass Incarceration Mystery
6. Killings of Black Men by Whites are Far More Likely to be Ruled “Justifiable” https://www.themarshallproject.org/2017/08/14/killings-of-black-men-by-whites-are-far-more-likely-to-be-ruled-justifiable
7. The NYPD Is Kicking People Out of Their Homes, Even If They Haven’t Committed a Crime https://www.propublica.org/article/nypd-nuisance-abatement-evictions
8. Walking While Black
9. Black and Unarmed: Behind the Numbers
10. There’s overwhelming evidence that the criminal justice system is racist. Here’s the proof. https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2020/opinions/systemic-racism-police-evidence-criminal-justice-system/
For (10.) You do not need to reflect on every study this piece cites. Instead, it might make sense to reflect on the topics by which the article summaries are organized, discussing the overall theme and choosing a few pieces of data and statistics to talk about.)
We value our customers and so we ensure that what we do is 100% original..
With us you are guaranteed of quality work done by our qualified experts.Your information and everything that you do with us is kept completely confidential.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
The Product ordered is guaranteed to be original. Orders are checked by the most advanced anti-plagiarism software in the market to assure that the Product is 100% original. The Company has a zero tolerance policy for plagiarism.Read more
The Free Revision policy is a courtesy service that the Company provides to help ensure Customer’s total satisfaction with the completed Order. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
The Company is committed to protect the privacy of the Customer and it will never resell or share any of Customer’s personal information, including credit card data, with any third party. All the online transactions are processed through the secure and reliable online payment systems.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more